Do you want to know what is web companion? Surely, you have noticed some changes in your web browser when installing a new program. Have you ever wondered why? Maybe that’s what brought you here to this article. So, here you go, the culprit you are looking for is a software called Web Companion. On that note, we will discuss what Web Companion is, whether it is necessary or not, and how you can get rid of the software.
What is Web Companion? ~~>
Web Companion is an antivirus program by Adaware/Lavasoft). Adaware/Lavasoft is a company that develops spyware and malware detection software since 1999.
Web Companion is a program designed to protect your computer from unwanted intruders and virus software. However, the program is on a list called PUA, which stands for potentially unwanted applications. Some other common names of this program are : PUA: Win32 and Unwanted 3914, Riskware, etc.
How does Web Companion affect your computer?
In this section, we will take a look at why “Web Companion” is also known as a PUA — Potentially Unwanted Application – and how it affects your computer.
- Installation: During the installation, the user gives the software permission to make the necessary changes to your browser settings, which may even affect your system performance.
- Suspicious coding: an independent study finds that a security feature in Web Companion is suscpicious. It was developed using Komodia Public SDK. The same code is used for monitoring and is known for an incident with Lenovo. Komodia Public SDKs make the system vulnerable to attacks and compromise its integrity.
- Browser settings: If you allow system settings to change, the software decides which search to use; which browser to use (usually Bing), which page to open in the browser; the URL of the new tab, when you search, new tabs may open; your search portal will behave strangely. Also, the software records your cookies; the data would be sold to third parties.
- Ownership: not many details about the company’s owners are available, which is highly suspicious.
- HTTP: It also has an out-of-date TTP extension that is indeed quite insecure.
- Phishing scam: Cybercrime aims to trick the user into revealing all sensitive data (bank OTP, username, password) with an enticing reward.
- Pop-ups: while using it, users receive numerous notifications and pop-ups. These do not even have an expiration date. The usability is affected and the user can get irritated.
What is the importance of Web Companion? ~~> ~~>
You can always download a free version of a reputable antivirus program such as Kaspersky, Avast, Norton, etc. Besides, your system is always safe and secure due to the threat detection system built into your operating system. However, if you want additional protection, you should get well-known antivirus software.
It is one free antivirus software that can detect significant threats in your system. Surprisingly, 53% of its users are from the US and others are from Germany and the UK. On that note, it’s not a software which you can’t do without.
Uninstalling Web Companion? ~~> ~~>
You can uninstall this software from your computer by using the Add/Remove Programs feature in the Windows Control Panel. Let’s see how:
- Click on Start Menu > Control Panel > Programs
- Thereafter, click on Uninstall or Add/Remove Programs
- Next, select the Web companion program.
- Finally, click on Uninstall or Change/Remove.
- Thereafter, follow the prompts and wait for some moment to complete the process.
- That’s it!
Is it possible to stop Web Companion form installing on your PC? ~~>
Yes, you actually can stop this program from installing on your system. You just need to be careful, that’s all. When you install a program in the system, check what softwares install along with it. You can deselect unwanted applications and complete the installation process.
Also, avoid installing applications via third parties or unethical channels to get a crack version. Always use the official portal or a dedicated channel.
WRAPPING UP !! ~~> ~~>
In this post, I think I have done well enough to have given you ample idea and knowledge on what is Web Companion and also various issues related to it. You will get solutions to all your queries by following the guide. So, just get your hands on this and resolve your issues. Do not forget to put out your thoughts and views in the comments section though. Do mention which method you have liked the most. On that note, until the next time, see ya !! Goodbye !! ~~> ~~> ~~>
:: ~~> ~~> :: ** :::::: ** :: )) ** :: ** (( ~~> ~~>