Chromebook is one of the most popular laptop choices for students and organizations. However, since it runs on its Chrome OS, apps from Windows and macOS cannot function on Chromebooks. So, what do we do if we want to play Steam games on Chromebook? But what is Steam? It is a gaming distribution platform where you’ll play trending games like Far Cry, Inquisitor, Star Dynasties, and more. Therefore, let us see How to play Steam Games on Chromebook?
Can you play Steam games on a Chromebook?
Absolutely yes! We can download, install, and play Steam games on Chromebook, but with certain adjustments. We need to undergo certain adjustments since Steam doesn’t have a native Chrome OS app readily available for Chromebook users.
Here’s a quality read on How to edit Screenshots on Chromebook
How to Download, Install and then Run Steam Games on a Chromebook?
First, you must check if your Chromebook has functions that will run Steam games. As in, your Chromebook model must be ready to handle and support Linux or Android apps. Also, your Chromebook must have better processor specifications like Intel i5 and plus as to run Steam games smoothly.
Some likely compatible Chromebooks that can be used to stream Steam games are mentioned below :
- Google Pixelbook Go (View at Flipkart | View at Amazon)
- Lenovo IdeaPad Flex 5i Chromebook (View at Flipkart | View at Amazon)
- Acer Chromebook Spin 514 (View at Flipkart | View at Amazon)
- HP Chromebook x360 14 (View at Flipkart | View at Amazon)
- Asus Chromebook Flip (View at Flipkart | View at Amazon)
- Samsung Galaxy Chromebook (View at Flipkart | View at Amazon)
Using the Steam Link App
- Launch the Google Play Store.
- Search for Steam Link with the developer’s name as Valve Corporation.
- Thereafter, click on the Install button.
- Open the Steam Link app.
- Sign in to your Steam Account.
- Now, you’ll pair your Chromebook with a compatible controller.
- Finally, start playing your game.
Install Steam as a Linux App
- Enable Linux Apps on the Chromebook.
- Then, open the System Apps dashboard on the Chromebook.
- Go to Settings > Linux(Beta) > Activate.
- Click Install.
- Now, you’ll install Steam games.
- On the Linux terminal window, type the following : echo ‘deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ jessie main contrib non-free’ | sudo tee -a /etc.
- The Linux terminal window will appear after you click the Install button.
- However, if it doesn’t appear, press the keys “Shift + Ctrl + T” together.
- Now, type the following : sudo dpkg –add-architecture i386
- Next, enter this command : sudo apt update
- Lastly, type : sudo apt install steam
- It will finish the installation.
Installing Steam on an unsupported Chromebook
Installing Steam on an unsupported Chromebook is quite cumbersome but nevertheless, worth it. We need to find a way to run Linux alongwith Chrome OS together on the Chromebook. Some very smart users have indeed found out ways to do so. So, we will be discussing the same :
CROUTON TO RUN UBUNTU OS ON CHROMEBOOK
If you would like to use this method, you would like to start out by using Crouton to put in Ubuntu. Or, another version of Linux, alongside Chrome OS on your Chromebook. This method doesn’t replace Chrome OS, you obviously can still use your Chromebook. However, it does require you to enable developer mode.
CHROME OS TO UBUNTU DESKTOP SWITCHING SEAMLESSLY
After you install and run Ubuntu on your Chromebook then you can switch between both the Chrome OS and the Ubuntu OS with using simple shortcuts like:
- Intel and AMD Chromebooks: Press Ctrl+Alt+Back and Ctrl+Alt+Forward. Then, press Ctrl+Alt+Refresh to refresh the new desktop.
- ARM Chromebooks: Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Back and Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Forward for the same task as above.
- Now, navigate to the official Steam site and choose Install Steam.
- When Ubuntu Software opens, select Install to automatically install the app.
Thus, using this method, you can switch to Ubuntu whenever wish to use Steam. As, it is not possible to access Steam directly from the Chrome OS interface.
So, what do you have to say now? Didn’t you get a comprehensively satisfying knowledge and experience on how to download, install and play Steam games on Chromebook. No matter come what may. We set out a list of methods to take you forward in your endeavour and also succeed in your attempt. So, now that it’s time to bid goodbye. Until next time, take care !! See-ya 🙂