iMac’s nowadays come with one of the most vibrant displays in the market, sometimes even coming with high quality retina monitors, thus enhancing your experience. Due to this, you may at times, like me, wonder, can you use an iMac as a monitor, for that matter. So, let me make it clear right at the onset, that, “YES!” you can definitely do that. Thus, let’s take a look at the methods that you need to follow to achieve this goal. So, let’s get going right away in this eventful journey!
Want to run Shell Script on your Mac device? Check this guide out!! –>
Can you use an iMac as a Monitor
So, as you already know, you can use your iMac device as a monitor. There are many ways like using a Sidecar or say using the Target Display Mode(my favorite). However, remember that you need an iMac that is compatible and also you may require special adapters. With that, let’s proceed to take a look at the methods in details down the line after we take a look at the requirements too.
Setting up your iMac as a PC monitor is a lot easier than you might think, but it only works if you have a compatible iMac model and an appropriate cable. So, here’s what you all need:
- A compatible iMac device
- Either, the 27-inch iMac devices from late 2009 and mid-2010 having a Mini Display Port
- Or, an iMac from mid-2011 and 2014 having a Thunderbolt port.
- A Computer system having a Mini Display/Thunderbolt Port.
- Or, a PC having an HDMI port with a facilitative adapter.
- That’s it!
Note: Generally, the late 2014 5K Retina iMac are not compatible device for such an experiment because they do not offer the “TDM” (Target Display Mode).
Now, that you know your requirements, let’s get going with the methods involved and the steps we need to follow to achieve our goal.
Here’s how to install MacOS Sierra in VirtualBox on Windows 10!! –>
Issues with your Resolutions
For optimal display quality, it is important to set the screen resolution correctly. So, you may even need to change your display resolution from the display settings, to make it same on both of your devices. So, as to say, if you want to mirror your 5K iMac device, then you can use the 2560 X 1440 resolution but this may not work for any other iMac and PC combination.
How do you use an iMac as a Monitor?
Precautionary things first, tap the Apple icon on your Mac and click on “About this Mac”. Thereafter, check for the information that will detail if your device is compatible for this experiment. After you are satisfied, let’s proceed with the other steps:
Using the Target Display Mode Method –>
- CONNECT THE CABLES
- First up, switch off your iMac and your PC.
- Thereafter, plug in the HDMI/Display/Thunderbolt cable into the respective ports on your PC and next into your iMac device.
Note: You will have to connect the cable to the adapter first and then proceed to connect the other end into the iMac’s port, when using an adapter to connect your two devices.
- ENABLE THE TARGET DISPLAY MODE
- Switch on your iMac and PC.
- Thereafter, press and hold the keys Command + F2 together to start the Target Display Mode.
- That’s it! Wait for sometime to find that you iMac screen is mirrored to the PC.
Want to get iMessage on your Android device without Mac? Here’s what you need!!–>
Using iMac as your Second Display
You can use this method for any iMac model. So, a great method for any iMac device, i.e. even the 5K iMac device. Only thing, is that you will need your iMac to run Windows 10 Home or Pro for this method to work. Thereafter, :
- Switch on your iMac and connect it to the same Wifi as your PC.
- Thereafter, on your iMac, go to “Windows Preferences” —> “System” —> “Project to this PC”.
- Next, select “Available Everywhere” —> “First Time Only”.
- Now, on your PC, open the “Action Centre”.
- Then, select the “Connect to a Wireless Screen” option from the project tile.
- Thereafter, select your iMac from the list that ensues.
- What do you see? YES! Your PC screen is mirrored with the iMac’s screen.
Using iMac as a monitor with Sidecar
This Sidecar method works best when you want to mirror your iMac screen to your iPad. Here’s what you need to do:
- On your macOS Ventura, click on your Menu bar.
- Thereafter, tap on “Control Center” –> “Screen Mirroring”
- Now, select your iPad thereafter, in the “System Preferences”, choose your primary screen.
- That’s it! Now, sit back and relax and enjoy 🙂
Here’s a quality guide on how to install Flutter on Your Windows, Mac & Android! –>
WRAPPING UP!! –>
Now, to sum it up, if you’ve got the right combination of devices and also the appropriate adapters and cables, then you can definitely try experimenting this. In this post, I have made you aware of a number of methods so try for yourself which one works for you. Having two monitors makes playing games, doing your work and other stuffs much easier. So, what are you waiting for? Go and grab this opportunity and if you still have any confusion, you can anytime feel free to speak up in the comments section and I will readily help. On that note, until next time, see ya!! Goodbye!!