So all this while you were wondering how to download iTunes on Chromebook? Worry not, you are at the right place because herein we will discuss the same. Yes, it is undoubtedly possible to run iTunes on a Chromebook. In this post, I will share how things work in the end so that you can anticipate things before installing it on your Chromebook. In a nutshell, you will use a Linux container to install iTunes on your Chromebook. To that end, you will also use the Wine app to get the iTunes app running.
Is iTunes available on Chromebook? ~~> ~~>
Chromebooks, over the years, have become enormously popular, and have emerged as a quality alternative to traditional laptops. Although the Chromebook runs Chrome OS, Google offers various methods by which users can use Windows apps and Android apps with ease. You would be wondering why am I talking about all of these as iTunes is an iOS app that is widely used on Mac computers, iPhones, and other devices.
So, now the question is can you download iTunes on Chromebook? If yes, then how to download iTunes for Chromebook? These are the questions that Google considered too and hence, has tried to offer a workaround.
iTunes was developed by Apple Inc. and is the default app for users who want to play music, watch movies & TV, and do many other things on a Mac computer. Do not worry if you are running a Windows operating system, because Apple has also released a version of iTunes for Windows that you can easily download from the Microsoft Store or Apple’s website.
Wondering how to download iTunes on Chromebook?
Here’s the complete guide on how to install iTunes on your Chromebook:
Enable Linux on Chromebook
- Move your cursor to the bottom right pane and click on the “Time”.
- Thereafter, click on the Settings icon and choose the “Linux (Beta)” section.
- Next, click on the power-on button.
- That’s it! Linux will then be installed on your Chromebook and a terminal window will open.
Next, Install the Wine App
- Run the command —-> “sudo apt-get update” in the Terminal window to update all system packages and their dependencies.
- Then, run the command —-> “sudo apt-get install Wine” to download the Wine application.
Thereafter, enable support for 32-bit apps
- Run the following commands in sequence:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 sudo apt update sudo apt-get install wine32
- That’s it! The Wine app has been set up on your Chromebook.
Finally, Download the iTunes Windows Setup (The 32-bit version is compatible) ~~>
- Open the download page for iTunes for Windows (32-bit) on the Apple Support website.
- Click the Download button and choose a location for the setup file.
- Next, move the iTunes setup file to the Linux file directory and rename it with a suitable name that you can easily remember like iTunes.exe
Lastly, Install iTunes
- Open the Linux Terminal window and run the command, replacing the [username] and [setup name] with your respective names.
WINEARCH=win32 WINEPREFIX=/home/[username]/.wine32/ wine [iTunesSetup.exe]
- Thereafter, click “Next” > “Install” > “Yes”
- Now, wait and click on Finish to exit the setup.
- That’s it! Now, go to the Applications menu and launch iTunes from the Linux applications on your Chromebook.
Creating a shortcut for iTunes ~~> ~~>
- Open the Linux files directory from the file manager.
- Then, click on the 3-dots button and choose the “Show hidden files” option.
- Thereafter, go to Local > share > applications > wine > Program Files > iTunes.
- Right-click on it and open it with the text editor.
- Now, enter the following code after Exec=.
env WINEPREFIX="/home/[username]/.wine32" wine "/home/[username]/.wine32/drive_c/Programs/iTunes/iTunes.exe".
- Thereafter, save the file and close the application, that’s it!
Other Miscellaneous Methods ~~> ~~>
Use the iTunes website ~~>
- Open Chrome browser and visit the Apple website music page.
- Now, click on the More(3-dots) button.
- Then select Create Shortcut from the submenu that appears and enter iTunes as the name for the shortcut.
- Thereafter, you have a shortcut available on the Chromebook desktop that you can use to listen to music from iTunes.
Import iTunes music to YouTube music ~~>
- Open the YouTube music website in your preferred browser.
- Thereafter, drag and drop the iTunes music files to the YouTube music website.
- Accept the “YouTube Terms of Service” and wait for the process to complete.
- That’s it!
Note: The best part of doing this is: The YouTube music on the Apple ecosystem is supported by the YouTube music app and users can easily sync their files.
Use a Virtual Machine App ~~>
Before proceeding with this method, make sure that you have downloaded a Windows ISO (high-end Chromebook users) / lightweight Linux distribution:
- Open the Chrome browser and go to the Linux Downloads page on the VirtualBox website.
- Thereafter, click on Debian 10 and save the download.
- After downloading, double click on the downloaded file and select “Install with Linux” and follow the prompts.
- After the setup is complete, launch it from the Linux Apps folder and click New.
- Next, create a new virtual machine in VirtualBox.
- Then, follow the prompts to install a guest OS in VirtualBox and next proceed to install iTunes on the guest OS.
- That’s it! You can now launch your fully functional iTunes.
WRAPPING UP !! ~~> ~~>
In this post, I think I have done well enough to have given you ample solutions; to help you attend multiple meetings on Zoom simultaneously. All the methods above are literally very simple and even a beginner can easily follow them. So, try your hands on any of these quick fixes to fulfill your wish. You can also put out your thoughts and views in the comments section. Do mention which method you have liked the most. On that note, until the next time, see ya !! Goodbye !! ~~> ~~>~> ~~>~>
:: ~~> ~~> :: ** :::::: ** :: )) ** :: ** (( ~~> ~~>