The backslash symbol () is a character that you cannot simply type on the keyboard. You can only do this if you use a keyboard shortcut. However, some keyboards have a dedicated key for them. In this article, we will thus see how to use the Backslash key on Mac. We will see how we can find the backslash key on Mac keyboard. We will also see how we can insert this symbol, including keyboard shortcuts.
So, what are we waiting for? Let us get started with the topic right away.
Keyboard shortcut for Backslash key
The shortcut for typing the backslash symbol is [ALT] + 92 for Windows and [Option] + [Shift] +  for Mac. To use the Windows shortcut, hold down the [Alt] key and type 92 using the numeric keypad. For Mac, hold down the ‘Option‘ and ‘Shift‘ keys simultaneously, then press the ‘7‘ key once.
These are the easiest and the speediest shortcuts for both Mac and Windows OS. We can thus use these shortcuts on any text editor like MS Word or even Google Docs.
Locating the backslash key on Mac
The backslash key is located near the Enter key on most keyboards. So test the keys before, above, and below the Enter key to find it. On the Mac keyboard, it is located directly above the Return key.
Using Alt Codes for Backslash Key
The code for the backslash symbol ALT is [Alt] + 92. You can use the character code to type the backslash symbol and any other symbol. This code is also known as “Alt code“. It is used to enter symbols for which there is no dedicated key on the keyboard.
Following are the steps to enter this symbol easily using the Alt code method.
- Click the cursor at the location where you want to enter or insert the symbol.
- Press and hold the [Alt] key.
- Now, as you hold the [Alt] key, enter the backslash code (92) using the numeric keypad on the right side of the keyboard.
- Release the keys and thereafter, this symbol will be inserted into your document.
Using Key Combinations for Backslash
The keyboard shortcut for the backslash symbol for Mac is [Option] + [Shift] +  or [Option] +  or [Option] + [Shift] + [/].
If you are using Mac OS, you can easily run the backslash symbol with this key combination on your keyboard. To do this :
- Click your cursor where you need the backslash character.
- Hold down the [Option] and [Shift] keys at the same time.
- Now, while you hold these buttons, press  once.
- As soon as you press  while holding down the Option and Shift keys, the symbol will be inserted exactly where you placed the cursor.
- This is just another keyboard shortcut you can use to paste this symbol on the Mac.
The Copy-Paste way
- You can go to any browser, say Google Chrome, and search for “Backslash” on your search engine.
- Thereafter, after the backslash symbol pops up just copy the symbol from there by right-clicking on it > Copy; or by pressing the Ctrl + C command.
- Now, move to where you need it, and press Ctrl+V to paste.
- Yippee!! Your task is complete.
Use Character Map
- Click the Start button or key.
- Start typing Character Map to search for the app.
- Now, click on the same to launch it.
- Once the Character Map is open, click the Advanced View checkbox to get more options.
- Now, search for “Reverse Solidus” in the search bar and then press enter to search for the symbol.
- Once the icon appears, double-click it to select it.
- Once it is selected, click the Copy button to copy it to your clipboard.
- Go to the application where you need the symbol; put the cursor in the right place and press Ctrl+V to paste the copied symbol.
- And that’s it.
The Symbol window is a library of all the symbols available. This feature is available in all MS Office applications, including Word and Excel.
- Click to place the cursor where you want to insert the symbol in the document.
- Go to the Insert tab > Symbols group > Symbols > More Symbols.
- On the Symbols tab, make sure the font is set to the font you want.
- To easily find the backslash symbol, type 005C in the Character Code field at the bottom of the window.
- Click Insert, and then close the window.
- These are the steps that you follow using the Insert Symbol method.
SUMMING UP !!
As you can see from the above options, there are various ways to enter the backslash key on Mac; using keyboard shortcuts, copy-pasting, and inserting symbols. I also hope, this article helps you in your endeavors. And also not to forget, if you have any questions or suggestions about this article; please let me know in the comments below. Until the next day, see ya !! Goodbye 🙂 ><