After some time of buying your new headphones, you start realizing that they are getting dirty, smelly, and sweaty. It is not only unhygienic but can also spoil your experience with headphones. It can happen especially if you use your headphones for exercising or sports. The dirt and smell can make you uncomfortable in using your headphones. For instance, you have high-quality headphones of Bose, Audio Technica, or Sennheiser but it is stinking strongly and has become dirty. This can also gross people out and they start avoiding their expensive headphones. In this blog, we will discuss How to clean headphone muffs: Different methods. Rest assured as it is not a time-consuming process and you will be done quickly.
Can you wash your Headphone pads?
In the cases where you can remove and replace the headphone pads, you will be able to wash them.
Why do you have to clean Headphones?
Following are the reasons for cleaning headphone pads:
- Firstly, it will make your headphones looks new.
- Secondly, it will extend the life of your headphones.
- Lastly, your headphones will smell good.
How to clean headphone muffs: Different methods
Please ensure that you have the following cleaning tools before cleaning your dirty headphones pads or muffs:
- Q-tips or cotton buds
- Soap water
- Small and clean cloth or Microfiber Cloth
- Leather Conditioner such as Audeze or Leather Honey
- Hydrogen Peroxide or Rubbing Alcohol
After you have them in place, you can begin the procedure of cleaning your headphones.
You have to perform the following steps for cleaning or washing your headphones properly:
- Firstly, you have to remove the pads or muffs from your headphones. However, if they cannot be removed or replaced then it is better to leave them in place.
- Now wipe the headphones using a dry cloth. Also use cotton buds or Q-tips for cleaning the corners.
- You have to use a microfiber dipped in soapy water solution for wiping the headphones. Please ensure that you don’t soak the cloth completely.
- Then, clean them dry.
- Now dip a new microfiber cloth in isopropyl alcohol so that you can get rid of smell and bacteria. Wipe the headphones with it.
- Lastly, you can apply leather conditioner if applicable.
When should you clean your headphones?
The timing depends on whether you are a heavy user or not. Let’s give you some guideline on when to clean your headphones.
- Daily: If you use your headphones daily then we recommend you wipe your headphone pads using a small, dry microfiber cloth. This will help in wiping out sweat and dust. Then, dip a clean cloth in isopropyl alcohol and wipe the pads and muffs again. This process will kill germs and bacteria.
- Weekly: This process is ideal for those who use their headphones weekly or after a gap of some days. It is similar to daily cleaning as you have to wipe your headphone pads with clean or microfiber cloth. However, you have to apply a few drops of water to moisten the surface this time. You can use Q-tips or cotton buds for removing wax accumulation in some holes of your headphones.
- Once in a blue moon: You should necessarily clean your headphones even if you use them rarely. You can do so by dampening your cloth with a little touch of soap and warm water or isopropyl alcohol and clean them. Then, wipe it dry using a dry cloth or towel.
- Replacing headphone muffs or pads: There comes a time when you have to replace your headphone pads or muffs. This is a final resort because they degrade over time. It is necessary because it is difficult to clean worn out pads and they can easily trap dirt. So, replacing them will make your headphones brand new.
How to get smell out of headphone pads?
If you do all the things mentioned above then you will be able to eliminate the bad or sweaty smell in headphones. All the smell will go away after you perform the process mentioned above. As cleaning your headphones will eliminate all sweat, odour, and even bacteria present in your headphone pads.
Conclusion on How to clean headphone muffs: Different methods
Cleaning your headphones is a necessity for various reasons. For instance, they will smell good, look clean and good and lastly they will be hygienic. So, you just have to repeat the steps mentioned in this blog whenever you think your headphones are dirty. In this way, you will be able to maintain your headphones in a good condition for long time. Thank you for reading our blog on ‘How to clean headphone muffs: Different methods.’